Tuesday, June 10, 2014

I Have a Body

This is a poem about loving yourself.
I was taught to hate my body when I was five years old
And a little girl with pigtails in her hair called me 'fat'
Because my face was too round to fit 
Into her angled and sharp worldview
I went to my mom that day and cried

I think it may have been some sort of 
Self-fulfilling prophecy because 
While my peers began to shed 
The baby chub they had once carried
Mine continued to marinate on my frame
Growing and feeding off of insults and exaggerations
School yard hatred became it's medicine
And I became fat

And I won't sit and sugar coat my condition
The obesity rate in America is high
And sometimes I feel like just another statistic
Years of yo-yo dieting and counting calories
Has left me defeated
And my thighs have grown larger
With every dessert I have cheated

I have battled my flesh with every ounce of my being
Wishing, praying, hoping that one day I would shrink
I have been ashamed of the way my thighs rub raw
My collar bones buried and my jaw too soft

But what does this shame do but lay
Dormant in my chest?
Turning my stomach any time 
I pass something reflective

I am tired of hearing the phrases
"Big boned" and "more to love"
Attempts at excusing the 
Offensive fat cells that reside under my skin
Because why should I excuse it?

Can I not love myself organically, radically
Become friends with these pounds?
Stop pining after the Kardashian butt
And size double D breasts hoping
That one day I could be worthy of acceptance
And I am tired of hating this fat, round body I posses

No comments:

Post a Comment